Take a journey through centuries of local crime and conspiracy, meeting villains of all sorts along the way—cut-throats and poisoners, murderous lovers, assassins, prostitutes and suicides. Among the many tales of wickedness and despair the author records in this fascinating book are:
- Robbery and revenge in Roman times
- The brutal uncertainties of Bath in the dark ages
- The highwaymen, gamblers, and duelists of the Georgian period
- The Victorian underworld and its notorious cases of prostitution, infanticide, and murder
- Outbreaks of mob violence
- Political corruption
Kirsten Elliott’s chronicle of the history the town would prefer to forget is compelling reading for anyone who is interested in the dark side of human nature.